Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
Symptoms of TMD include:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
Botox for TMJ/TMD
There are many different reasons that patients choose to receive Botox treatment, from wanting to remove fine lines and wrinkles to treating more severe conditions such as TMJ and chronic migraines. Botox can relieve any of the symptoms that make you feel less confident, and help you achieve a more youthful, radiant appearance.
Noticeable results, no surgery, and no recovery time – discover the benefits of Botox® at our practice.
How does Botox work?
Botox uses a special protein to block overactive nerve impulses, restricting muscle contractions. In doing so, Botox helps to relax the muscles beneath the skin, so that fine lines and wrinkles become less visible, giving the skin a healthy, more youthful appearance.
Depending on each individual case, the results can last between one and six months. Treatment is temporary, and once the Botox begins to wear off, the skin will return to the way it looked before treatment.
Botox is also used to relieve symptoms of TMJ, as well as provide comfort to patients receiving dental implants. In each case, Botox is used to reduce the amount of stress placed on the teeth and jaw so that patients feel comfortable and confident.
What is Botox Cosmetic?
Botox is a medication that can only be prescribed to you by a healthcare professional. It is used as a temporary treatment for patients between the ages of 18 and 65. Botox treatments are quick and comfortable, and within hours you will begin to notice a difference in the way your skin looks and feels.
Am I a good candidate for Botox?
Botox may or may not be the right treatment for you. The best candidates for treatment with Botox are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 65
- Diagnosed with, and experiencing discomfort from, TMJ
- Concerned with removing wrinkles and fine lines
- Looking for a non-surgical skin treatment
- Aware that Botox results are temporary
- In good physical and psychological health
- Willing to discuss their concerns and desires with their dentist before treatment
If you feel that you are a good candidate for a Botox treatment, and are interested in learning more, please contact our practice to schedule a complimentary Botox consultation. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.